Told you I wasn't a blogger...



Oh heeey! Long time! 😉

I also said that I would update if there was anything to update about. But there hasn't been really; things are just stable - some days I feel that things physically are better, but other days I feel worse... And that's just MS, how it's always been for me: good days and bad days. I haven't had a remarkable recovery - my walking nerves are clearly very damaged. If you believe the experiences being reported on HSCT for MS veterans' pages, some people don't see physical improvements for a couple of years post-treatment. I suppose this makes sense, nerve healing takes a long time, and the theory is that once the inflammatory activity stops, healing can begin.

But I don't know. Quite honestly, if I stay how I am for the rest of my life (i.e. I don't get worse with all the crap that can happen with MS), that would be the most amazing, miraculous thing. Honestly. Yeah things are hard because I walk with a crutch, but oh my god, I am independent, I drive, I continue with life!

So, I'm just trying to get on with things and I don't think about the experience last year very often. It all seems like a dream - it was so consuming last year, everything was about HSCT. But since I returned, life just went on, and I have very few moments that remind me of that experience. And to be fair, I prefer not to think about it. It was what it was, not easy or unforgettably hard, it just happened. It's about a year and a half since I've had any MS medication, and things are stable. So far, so fricken good! Thanks everyone, I wouldn't be here without you.

So life looks like this: EXERCISE. This year I have been seeing a Clinical Exercise Physiologist - she comes to my house to train, initially twice a week, now once a week. She's brilliant -  the work we do is perfectly targeted to the areas I need to strengthen or refine. We also work with neuroplasticity (the brain creating new connections) which involves visualisation, as well as pushing exercises to the limit (apparently new connections begin to be formed particularly when fatigued - her favourite phrase when I get tired is "two more!"). With her help I am genuinely getting stronger, which is awesome. I've also recently acquired a walking bike (called the Alinker - I've called mine "Linky"), the purpose for this purchase was to get back to walks in the botanic gardens with Peter - we used to go for walk/runs all the time when we lived across the road. Using Linky is HARD (especially on days when my stupid right leg isn't behaving itself), but still fun, once I get over being shy about using it. Here's me on the second outing, in the gardens (it was bumpy):


COUNSELLING. After having most of last year off from seeing clients, I have been focussing on accumulating hours for membership with the counsellors' association. I've continued volunteering at the women's centre, and recently I've started working as a guidance counsellor at a high school. Two very different client demographics, I love it!

STUDY. Yep, it's fine. Post-grad is intense. 😬

FAMILY. I love them! I don't see enough of my parents, sister, in-laws, or friends, but we're all busy people and make time for each other when we can. I have seen some gorgeous friends getting married this year though, which has been a big highlight 💜 I do see a lot of this guy though:

And that's me! It's been a year since the treatment in Singapore, and things are going well. I will update this if anything happens, but assume that for the most part I'm happy, and things are going well.

Love youuuuz!

Rach xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Odyssey Begins...

Making plans...